Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Unlikable Characters that I Love

 Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

Unlikable Characters that I Love

Here are some of my favorite unlikeable characters that I cannot help but love. 

1. Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen- I adore Mr. Darcy so much. His and Lizzie’s romance is one of my favorites from all of literature. Hate to love romances are some of my absolute favorites. 

2. Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling- Draco is a character that I wish would have had more of a redemption at the end of the series. Snape gets one but Draco really does not. 

3. Cersei Lannister from The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin- Cersei is literally one of the first characters that I thought about for this category. I love her in the books and the tv show. She is such a fun character to follow. 

4. Nac Mac Feegle or The Wee Free Men from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett- A lot of people do not like the Nac Mac Feegle from the Discworld series but I love every time they show up. They’re so funny and I love the trouble that they get up to. I also enjoy how loyal they are to Tiffany. 

5. Jamie from The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by - Jaime is one of the reasons that I loved this book as much as I did. I love how grumpy he is throughout the whole book but also how much he loves the girls. His relationship with Mika was one of my favorites. 


6. Wallace from Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune- Wallace was so unlikeable for a good portion of this book and I just loved him. 

7. Groo from the Groo the Wanderer series by - Groo is an unlikeable character within his own world because of all the trouble that he causes for everyone around him. I love how upset and worried people get when they just see Groo walking towards them. It’s so funny. 

8. Red from The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer- Red is unlikeable when she is first introduced in the series in the first book, The Wishing Spell, but she grows on you as the series continues. I loved Red throughout the entire series. She was such a fun character, who really cared for and loved her friends. 

9. Alyce from the Malice duology by Heather Walter- Alyce is a complicated character that dealt with a lot of hardships because of her family and her type of magic. She is a unlikeable character especially in the second book of the series. I love how Heather took Alyce’s story and made her a “grey character.” This series is a wonderful take on the Sleeping Beauty story from the “villain’s” perspective. 

10. Amy from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott- Amy is not a likeable character for a good portion of Little Women but I loved her from the beginning. She is the youngest of the March sisters and that is very obvious in her characterization. As she grows up though, she learns and grows as a character. I cannot say that I loved all of her decisions but I liked seeing her growth throughout the entire book. 



12 comments:

  1. Wallace is such a great choice. I wish I would have thought of it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my list. He is definitely one of my favorite characters of this year.

      Delete
  2. I never really understood why Snape got more of a redemption than Draco.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/01/top-ten-tuesday-392/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! Thank you for checking out my list. I'll check out yours too.

      Delete
  3. A great list! Especially the first two - I have seen Harry Potter characters on a few lists - I can't believe I didn't think of them!

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/01/top-ten-tuesday-unlikable-characters-you-cant-help-but-love/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily. I hope you have a great week too! I'll check out your list.

      Delete
  4. Draco is definitely a product of his environment, as you see time and time again. Maybe that's why he didn't get the redemption arc so many of us wanted. Instead, his family limps away with their tail between their legs. Not very satisfying!

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    http://readbakecreate.com/highest-rated-books-on-my-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not saying people who don't like the Nac Mac Feegle deserve to be plagued by them, but I would be on the Nac Mac Feegle's side there.

    Great list, enjoyed reading it.

    Here's mine - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/2022/11/02/toptentuesday-absolute-bastards-i-loved/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment! Thank you for checking out my list. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll read yours too.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I'm not familiar with most of these characters, but I agree on the ones I do know :)

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool list! I think Cersei Lannister is the ultimate unlikeable character. She won't let anything get in her way.

    ReplyDelete