Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, November 14, 2022

Reviews Week 45

Reviews Week 45

November 7th-13th

Book 156: Learning Curve

by N. R. Walker

Read on November 6th-7th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š


I had such a fun time with this book. I'm a sucker for an N. R. Walker romance and was really looking forward to this one when she first announced it. This book was so cute and wholesome. I loved Vincent and Cobey. Their relationship was adorable and just a joy to read. Also, the other characters like Cobey's family, the players on the football team that we got to know (like Nate), and Jayda, were great side characters. I love N. R. Walker's minor characters.

Book 157: Snow White and other Grimm's Fairy Tales

(MinaLima version)

by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Read on November 10th-12th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

I'll always be a big fan of fairytales, and I was really looking forward to Minalima's version. Their collection of children's classics is one of my favorite classic collections. I love the interactive elements that they add to the story and the illustrations throughout. This volume was definitely one of my absolute favorites out of the nine they have out, design-wise. Especially with the "Snow White" scene at the beginning and Rapunzel's tower. 

It had the most famous of the Grimm Fairytales like, "Snow White," "Cinderella," "Rapunzel," "Little Red Riding Hood," "Hansel and Gretel," and so on. There were a couple that I had never heard of before, like "Mother Holle," which I really loved so much. I think it's funny that so many of fairy tales deal with evil/mean stepmothers and wolves eating people and animals. These have a similar formula to them that makes the ending obvious to the reader, but I cannot help but love them so much.  

I definitely recommend this beautiful volume for MinaLima fans, fairy tale fans, fans of classics, and just beautiful books in general. It is a great piece for any collector. Also, the Grimm Fairy Tales are some of the best stories out there. I cannot wait to see what MinaLima comes out with next. My hope is for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis or The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Book 158: Story Thieves 

by James Riley

Read on November 11th-13th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

This book was a lot of fun! It took me a bit to get into it, but once I did, I really wanted to know what was going to happen next. I enjoyed all of the references to literature throughout. Also, I loved Owen's adventure in Kiel's story. This is another series that I am going to have to pick up the rest of the books very soon. 

I love the story-jumping aspects, which made me think of Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. Books that make me think of Inkheart will always be ones that I pick up. This was a very good example of one that I enjoyed a lot. Cannot wait to see what is going to happen next. Hope we will get more information about Bethany's father as the books progress. 

Book 159: Miles Morales: Stranger Tides

by Justin A. Reynolds 

Read on November 13th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

This was an excellent graphic novel of Miles' story. I have never read any of Miles being Spider-Man, and I have got to say that I enjoyed this adventure very much. It would be the perfect book for middle-grade readers that enjoy the Marvel Universe. Miles Morales: Stranger Tides was a simple comic book story that was entertaining the entire time. For middle-grade graphic novels, I just expect to have a good time, and this delivered that for me. 

 Also, the illustration style reminds me of animation, and I enjoyed it throughout the volume. I would be interested in picking up the first volume and any others that Justin creates. 

*Thank you to Edelweiss for my ARC of the book. All opinions are my own. *

No comments:

Post a Comment