Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Typographic Book Covers

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

Typographic Book Covers

Book covers with a design that is all or mostly all words. This prompt was submitted by Mareli @ Elza Reads

1. My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares- I was a big fan of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series when I was in middle school and early high school. I remember when this book first came out vividly and having to get it right away. It was one of my favorite books then, though I was so sad that we never got a sequel for it. 

2. Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six Word Memoirs edited by Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser- I became obsessed with six-word memoirs and wanted to write the best one in my sophomore year of high school. This is one of the many books that I found on the subject a couple of years later. I love how they formatted the typography on the cover of this book. 

3. A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare- I'm a big fan of the Folger Shakespeare Library versions of Shakespeare's plays, and I get them any time I find a new one for a decent price. They are definitely my favorite edition of Shakespeare's plays.  This is one of my favorites in the collection. 

4. Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley- I read Words in Deep Blue a couple of years ago, and this beautiful cover matches the contents of the novel perfectly. The story is about a letter library and the importance of writing in our lives. It shows how important words can be in preserving people even after they are gone. I completely recommend reading it. It's one of my favorite young adult contemporary novels ever. 

5. The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green- The Anthropocene Reviewed was one of my top ten favorite books of last year. Here is my review for his book:

Part memoir, part insights into the seemingly random, part review; John Green's first nonfiction book hit me a lot harder than I could have ever expected. I have been following John for a very long time, along with his brother Hank. Whether that be from his Youtube videos or his novels. He has been one of my favorite authors for years, and I was excited when he said that he was coming out with a book like this. I have always loved John's insight into the world around him. His antidotes in his videos have so much of himself in them, along with so much information.

“... I called my brother, Hank, and told him I was feeling frightened. Hank is the levelheaded one, the sane one, the calm one. He always has been. We have never let the fact of my being older get in the way of Hank being the wise older brother.”: I just adore this quote so much. Hank and John are some of my absolute favorite people to follow online.

Each of these essays felt so real to him as a person, and I loved learning more and more about him. Also, about so many cool things. John is such a smart person with a mind that I envy, especially how he can write. This is just one of the many examples.

My favorite essay was probably "Auld Lang Syne" if I had to pick one, but there were so many other great ones like "Harvey". Both of these essays had me in tears, with the grief he shared and the mental health struggles. I loved how he put so much of himself and his life in each of these essays. I cannot tell you how much I related to these essays especially.

I completely recommend picking this up, especially the audiobook that he narrates. It was such an amazing experience overall.

I rate The Anthropocene Reviewed five stars. I rate John Green's writing five stars. I rate the experience six stars because obviously, I want to break the system.

"We all know what it's like to feel alone. We will all call out someday to someone who cannot answer us."

6. The Magic Strings of Frankie Preston by Mitch Albom- Mitch Albom's books are all absolutely beautiful stories inside and out. I cannot help falling into them while reading. 

7. Everything I Never Told You by Celeste NG- I believe that this was the first book that I reviewed on my original blog that I do not use anymore, back in 2017. There are so many memories that I have from reading this novel. It is one that I would love to come back to and reread sometime soon. 

8. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green- My favorite of John Green's young adult contemporary books by far. I remember reading this book in one sitting the day that it came out because I could not put it down. John's typographic covers have always been some of my favorites, especially this one. 

9. An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green- The Green brothers both have a good number of typographic covers between them both. I love that the main part of this cover is the title and then that the Carls are in the foreground. This and its sequel are two of my favorite science fiction books of all time. Hank does such a great job blending in pop culture commentary along with his story. I loved the puzzles in this book and Hank's clever ideas with them. 

10. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue was one of the best books that I read last year. Addie's story is one that I will not forget anytime soon, and I adore this beautiful simplistic cover that they made for it. 

12 comments:

  1. Great list and picks of gorgeous and interesting typographic covers. I couldn’t agree more with your picks. Addie LaRue is also on my list this week.
    Here is my TTT: https://herseriallife.com/top-10-books-with-typographic-covers/
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you have a great week also. I'll check out your TTT.

      Delete
  2. A great list, and I like how you picked a lot of different types of typography as well. My post featured one designer and her book covers: https://inkinthearchives.com/2022/09/27/ttt-an-ode-to-jessica-hisches-book-covers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I liked your idea for your post with just going with one designer. Your choices were beautiful. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Oooh! All of these book covers look interesting! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved the cover for WORDS IN DEEP BLUE. It's eye-catching and unique. It's nice to know that the cover matches the story well. I hate it when they don't!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN and WORDS IN DEEP BLUE are both great examples for this week's topic!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my post. I'll check out yours too. Have a great week.

      Delete
  6. I also love that cover for Addie LaRue, though as I'm from the UK, it's not the one I have. Words In Deep Blue is such a gorgeous cover, I love the kind of tile like effect the books make.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/27/top-ten-tuesday-387/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for checking out my post. Words in Deep Blue is one of my favorite covers. I'll check out your TTT. Hope you have a good rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete