.png)
The Call Me Ishmael Phone Book: An Interactive Guide to Life-Changing Books by Stephanie Kent and Logan Smalley
For the start of my chain, I decided to pick this book that has been on my TBR for a few years now. I have read some of the voicemails in this book since I bought it but I never read the whole thing through. It was one of the books I had picked out to do for the Buzzword Title Challenge when I first did my goals post early in the year.
There was an obvious book I could have went with for the next connection: Moby Dick by Herman Melville but I decided to go in a completely different direction. I chose 84, Charing Cross Road because of the common theme of the love of books between both of them. Also, they both are written with unique formats. The Call Me Ishmael Phone Book is written like a phone book and 84, Charing Cross Road is epistolary (written in letters.) I highly recommend this wonderful little book.
The Correspondent by Virginia Evans
One of the most recent of my reads on this list. Similarly to Helene Hanff's book, this is also written in an epistolary format. This book is one of my top favorites of the year and I cannot recommend it enough. It is told entirely through letters and emails, correspondences between Sybil and many different people. She writes letters to family, friends, authors whose books she has read, customer service people, etc. Sybil's story was one that touched my heart in so many different ways. It was also one of the only books that had me full on crying in quite a while. I cannot recommend it enough.
The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green
The connection between this book and the previous for me is how much they both touched my heart. Part memoir, part insights into the seemingly random, part review; John Green's first nonfiction book hit me a lot harder than I could have ever expected. I have been following John for a very long time along with his brother Hank. Whether that be from his Youtube videos or his novels.He has been one of my favorite authors for years and I was excited when he said that he was coming out with a book like this. I have always loved John's insight into the world around him. His antidotes in his videos have so much of himself in them along with so much information. I loved how he put so much of himself and his life in each of these essays.
![]()
A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes
I picked this book next because I loved listening to the audiobook for this which is read by the author herself, similarly to John's book. The audiobook for A Thousand Ships is excellent. Natalie Haynes always does a wonderful job reading her own books and this is probably the one I recommend the most, at least out of the ones I have listened to/read. This is a book told from the perspectives of the women in the Trojan War. I enjoy how there is a large mix of voices such as mortals, muses, queens, princesses, and the goddesses.
Follow This Thread by Henry Eliot
Another recent read for me. Follow This Thread also deals with Greek Mythology similarly to A Thousand Ships. It is one of the most unique books I have ever read and I highly recommend it to fans of mazes and labyrinths. This book is quite literally a maze book. You follow the red thread throughout the book as Theseus followed the thread throughout the Labyrinth. Also, you move the book along with it and the words. Many of the pages are upside-down or sideways.
The book's prose goes between talking about mazes from literature and history. The framing device is the Greek myth about Theseus and the Minotaur. Henry Eliot weaves the story throughout the entire book and scatters in various information about the other stories and historical people. It was an intriguing way of relaying the information.
The red thread creates illustrations such as various different mazes and creatures like the Minotaur. If you like an interactive read that will literally have you turning the book upside-down, you should check out Follow This Thread.
To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure by Ryan North
It's funny that almost every book in this list is a bit unconventional and this one definitely fits that description. I grew up with a deep love for choose-your-own adventure stories. It might have been because of my natural affinity for telling stories. I loved being able to choose what happened in the books I was reading and the interactive aspects of these types of stories. This one is based on Shakespeare's Hamlet. Definitely one of the books I come back to when I need a good laugh. I hope one day Ryan North will do Macbeth. He's also done one for Romeo and Juliet.
![]()







Interesting starting book. I've never heard of it before, and written like a phone book? Huh! That's unique. Of course 84 Charing Cross Road is a favorite of mine as well.
ReplyDelete