26 Books Series #1:
Read 26 Books Written in Verse and
Poetry Collections in 2026
July - September
Hello! During the months of July through September, I read many different poetic works and I highly enjoyed them.
12. This is Door by Daniel Nayeri- Novel in Verse
- This Is a Door by Daniel Nayeri was a great middle grade novel told in verse. He describes the book as an illustrated novel without pictures, which is the perfect description of this book. The shape of the verses change to fit what is being told on the page such as into different shapes, twisting around the pages, and even changing size. It was one of the most inventive ways I have ever seen a book written and I highly recommend this for younger readers and for the older readers who still enjoy these types of stories. If you do choose to pick it up, the print copy would probably be your best option. The formatting doesn't translate as well into an ebook.
- Quote from ARC of the book
13. All Dogs are Good: Deluxe Edition by Courtney Peppernell- Novel in Verse
- All Dogs Are Good is a beautiful collection of poetry and prose vignettes that perfectly encapsulates the love so many of us have for dogs and I believe any pets in general. I know I don't have a dog but I completely related with what she was writing here with my cats. Though, I am a dog lover too. My favorites of Courtney's poems were the longer ones and I absolutely loved the prose vignettes throughout.
"It is dawn, and so it is time to rise,
to start a day filled with adventure,
perhaps leave you a little surprise.
to start a day filled with adventure,
perhaps leave you a little surprise.
And while you have slept,
a weathered eye on you I have kept.
For it is my duty to remind you
from dawn to dusk each day
that by your side, I shall stay."
- Quote from ARC of the book
14. How to Fly in Ten Thousand Easy Lessons by Barbara Kingsolver- Poetry Collection
- A beautiful poetry collection with poems that focus on many aspects of life. There are so many different topics talked about in this book including marriage, divorce, grief, hope, friendship, family, nature, etc.
"O misery. Imperfect
universe of days stretched out
ahead, the string of pearls
and drops of venom on the web,
universe of days stretched out
ahead, the string of pearls
and drops of venom on the web,
losses of heart, of life
and limb, news of the worst:
Remind me again
the day will come
when I look back amazed
at the waste of sorry salt
when I had no more than this
to cry about.
and limb, news of the worst:
Remind me again
the day will come
when I look back amazed
at the waste of sorry salt
when I had no more than this
to cry about.
Now I lay me down.
I’m not there yet."
- "How to Survive This"
15. Styx - The River (Goddesses of the Underworld, #2) by Nikita Gill- Novel in Verse
- Nikita Gill tells both Styx and Asteria's stories through verse. She has a stunning writing style that is always spectacular. Styx is told from both of their perspectives and shows the tight bound they had throughout their adolescence. Their journey was beautifully written and incredibly powerful. Nikita's writing immerses her readers from the first page until the end.
"Oceanus’s palace was still new,
a beating sapphire jewel
in the heart of Gaia’s earth.
His great river’s waters,
His great river’s waters,
which eventually became
the seven seas and five oceans,
ran azure, cerulean, turquoise,
ran azure, cerulean, turquoise,
every shade of lazuline blue
you can imagine under the sky"
- Quote from ARC of the book
16. All the Sunshine in the World by Caroline Brooks DuBois- Novel in Verse
- Another novel written in verse from the perspective of a young girl named Tolly who is dealing with grief and guilt after the death of her sister, Sunny. Sunny died about six months before the events of the novel and Tolly fears she might be partially to blame for her death. Both her and her parents don't talk about Sunny's car accident and they are dealing with grief in their own ways.
Caroline Brooks DuBois beautifully crafted this book. I believe the formatting fits the story and Tolly's narrative voice very well. She feels isolated and often feels like she is too much for those around her because of her inquisitiveness and how much she talks. Caroline's writing is beautiful, heartbreaking, and hopeful.
"I am a sassafrass leaf.
I take multiple shapes.
I contain multitudes."
I take multiple shapes.
I contain multitudes."
"Or maybe it’s because Sunny spent
so much time outside, I had
to get outdoors to hear her.
Nature was her language—
and I’m learning to hear it
and to speak it."
so much time outside, I had
to get outdoors to hear her.
Nature was her language—
and I’m learning to hear it
and to speak it."






No comments:
Post a Comment