Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, September 30, 2024

September Reviews

🍁  September Reviews 🍂

September 1st-30th

September was one of my best months so far this year. I read 19 books and they were almost all 4 or 5 stars. 

Book 82: The Dark Tower: And Other Stories

By C. S. Lewis

Read August 31st- September 1st

Pages: 240

Release Year: 1977

📚📚📚📚
 

An interesting set of short stories from C.S. Lewis with some that were never finished. I particularly enjoyed “The Dark Tower” and wish we could have gotten the full story. Lewis was such an intriguing man. I believe this more every time I pick up another one of his works.

Book 83: The Screwtape Letters

By C.S. Lewis

Read September 2nd

Pages: 209

Release Year: 1942

📚📚📚📚
 

A satire told through letters written by Screwtape, a senior assistant “To Our Father Below,” to his nephew Wormwood, who is trying to complete his first temptation of a human’s soul. I was recommended this book by an atheist, which I find intriguing in itself since it is obviously a cautionary tale for believers. The Screwtape Letters is one of C.S. Lewis’s most praised works besides The Chronicles of Narnia and after reading this it is easy to see why it is so well loved.  

I can’t say I read this for the Christian aspects, but I highly enjoyed reading Screwtape’s advice to his nephew. It shows how humankind can be lead astray through a quite different vantage point: the eyes of a demon. C.S. Lewis’s choice to write the story in this way was clever.

Lewis’s style of writing draws in readers through his discussions on Christianity, but also ethics, etiquette, and psychology. He was considered to be one of the most highly read of his time and it is obvious when you read his writings. The man was highly intelligent. He is definitely not for everybody, but I know I will continue to read through his works.

Book 84: I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 1: Madly Ever After

By Skottie Young

Read September 3rd

Pages: 128

Release Year: 2016

📚📚📚📚📚
 

September 3rd, 2024 reread:
I decided to reread this for the first time in six years before the seventh volume comes out. I love this series so much and cannot wait to see what will happen next.

November 2017 reread:

This is my third read of this volume of I Hate Fairyland. I like rereading them each time a new one comes out. Again, I really love this graphic novel series. The humor is great and the way Skottie plays with tropes of fairy tales is the best part. The colors used in this comic and the illustrations can be very beautiful.

Book 85: I Hate Fairyland. Vol. 2: Fluff My Life

By Skottie Young

Read September 3rd

Pages: 144

Release Year: 2016

📚📚📚📚

September 2024 reread:
I decided to reread the entire series to lead up to the seventh volume and am having such a great time. My opinions haven’t changed for this part of Gert’s tale. Love Larry’s snarky humor so much. He is hilarious!

November 2017 reread:
The first volume of I Hate Fairyland is one of my favorite graphic novels I have ever read. This volume is enjoyable and funny, but it doesn't hold the originality of the first volume. The main joke going through this one, which is the same as the first, is that Gert wants to go home. Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy it, but not as much as the first. Some of the scenes in this are so funny, especially when Gert goes into Larry's hat. I believe the best part of this volume and of the first was Larry's snarky humor. He makes these for me. This is still one of my favorite graphic novel series and I had a great time reading it a second time.

Book 86: I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 3: Good Girl

By Skottie Young

Read September 4th

Pages: 128

Release Year: 2017

📚📚📚📚
 

September 2024 reread:
I have loved returning to this series to reread every volume before the seventh. My favorite parts are still the Labyrinth scenes.

November 2017 review:
This volume was great! The humor in this volume, especially centering around Larry was some of the best in the entire series. I loved the issue with Larry's past and him seeing a different future for himself if he didn't meet Gert. It was definitely different than I expected. My favorite part of this was the spoof of the movie Labyrinth. When they first said that they needed to go to a labyrinth, I was expecting that they were going to play with the myth of the Minotaur from Greek Mythology. I never expected the jokes with the movie Labyrinth. It is one of my favorite movies and I enjoyed seeing how Skottie played with it. Parody is one of my favorite types of humor. Loveth Lovelord was a handful.

Larry is and will always be my favorite part of these comics. He's so snarky and isn't afraid to speak his mind. It was great actually seeing him care for Gert. Like I said before, the issue based all around him was one of the best.

Also, that ending. Man... I want the next volume right now. This was a great continuation of the series. The only thing that I marked this down for was that the joke of Gert trying to get home is getting a little old. I did like her trying to become "a good girl" though. All I could think of the whole time was "yeah right." The art style in this is just as great as in the other two issues. I cannot get enough of how stunning it really is.

I recommend reading this. It was a great addition to the series.

Book 87: I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4: Sadly Never After

By Skottie Young

Read September 4th-5th

Pages: 120

Release Year: 2018

📚📚📚📚
 
 
September 2024:
I love this ending to the first part of Gert's tale. It was definitely the best out of volumes 2-4.

September 2018 read:
A great ending to one of my favorite graphic novel series. I'm going to miss Gert and Larry's adventures.

Book 88: I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 5: Gert's Inferno

By Skottie Young, Brett Bean (Illustrator)

Read September 5th

Pages: 128

Release Year: 2023

📚📚📚📚
 

September 5th, 2024 reread:
Loving this reread of the entire Fairyland series. This is such a great volume and I love the references to Dante’s Inferno.

July 13th, 2023 review
I have been hoping that Skottie would return to Gert and Fairyland and was excited to read Gert’s new adventures when he announced them. This was a lot of fun and had me laughing. Love the references as usual. The one thing this made me want to do is reread the rest of the series again. Can’t wait to see what happens next after that ending.

Book 89: I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 6: Last Gert Standing

By Skottie Young, Brett Bean (Illustrator)

Read September 6th

Pages: 128

Release Year: 2024

📚📚📚📚

September 6th, 2024 reread:
Volume 6 was even better after reading the other volumes before it. This is such a great part of the series!

January 22nd, 2024 review:
It’s great having the young Gert back in this volume. Made me think of the old volumes in many ways and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens after the ending. I love returning to this world again.

Book 90: I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 7: In the Mean Time

By Skottie Young, Brett Bean (Illustrator)

Read September 6th

Pages: 128

Release Year: 2024

📚📚📚📚
 

I didn’t love the first few issues in this volume but the final two made up for that. It was great to see Gert gang up with old friends and try to save Fairyland for a change. The arc in Issues 14 and 15 is one of the better ones from this later part of the series. Love the return of Virgil (he’s one of my favorite side characters).  I am eagerly looking forward to Volume 8. Happy End Game sounds great and apparently, a certain Kansas girl will making an appearance.
 
Book 91: The Unsleeping Witch
The Gingerbread Witch Book 2

By Alexandra Overy

Read September 7th-9th

Pages: 288

Release Year: 2023

📚📚📚📚
 

A very good follow-up to The Gingerbread Witch, this time twisting in the fairy tale of “Sleeping Beauty.”  I love witchy stories and am enjoying following Maud, Gretel, Noss, and all of the other characters on their adventures. We get many more witches in this tale along with characters from the past.  

Alexandra’s series would be a great one for middle grade readers. It has a strong focus on friendship, many dynamic characters, and Maud’s search for identity in a world she doesn’t feel like she belongs in. Many children will relate with various characters and story elements.

Also, there are so many fun fantasy elements, such as: a dragon library, a creepy wood, magical gummy snakes, and a twist on one of the most famous sleeping curses in literature. I hope there will be more from this series in the future.

 
Book 92: The Shadow Dragons
The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica Book 4

By James A. Owen

Read September 11th-13th

Pages: 417

Release Year: 2009

📚📚📚📚📚
 
 
This series just gets better as it continues. I loved the addition of the Tamerlane House with the previous caretakers which included William Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Dickens, and so many more historical and literary figures.

James A. Owen has created such a wonderful fantasy world that I love to travel through on every single page.

 
Book 93: Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs

By Erick Didriksen

Read September 14th

Pages: 112

Release Year: 2015

📚📚📚📚
 

I love books that take modern-day writings/stories and rewrite them as if they were by Shakespeare. This is a clever book.
 
Book 94: The Lantern of Lost Memories

By Sanaka Hiiragi, Jesse Kirkwood (Translator)

Read September 13th-15th

Pages: 208

Release Year: 2024 (USA)

📚📚📚📚📚
 
 
The Lantern of Lost Memories is one of the most beautiful books I have read in a long time. It made me think of The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Under the Whispering Door. I'm always interested in stories that imagine what happens after death, especially ones with such interesting premises.

I loved the idea of the lantern which literally is used to make people's lives flash before their eyes before they pass on. This book had me thinking of my own past and the pictures I could find in such a place. I love how Mr. Hirasaka brings each person back in time to an important moment in their lives to take the perfect image for their lanterns. Each of their stories were wonderful to read and added even more to the work.

There's something about books like this that get me to be introspective, for obvious reasons. I love how heartwarming, bittersweet, joyful, and sentimental the entire story is. Also, it was great and surprising to see how the stories each connected. By the end it hits you hard.

I hope there will be more books from this world. I'd love to learn more about Mr. Hirasaka and the people who come through his magical photo studio. The Lantern of Lost Memories is perfect for magical realism lovers. This is getting compared to the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series, so now I know I have to read those books too. I highly recommend picking this book up.

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.*

 
Book 95: The Ghostkeeper

By Johanna Taylor

Read September 16th

Pages: 272

Release Year: 2024

📚📚📚📚📚
 
 
 The Ghostkeeper focuses on a young medium, Dorian, who has been able to see ghosts since he was a child, when he had a traumatic near death experience. He basically is a ghost therapist who takes the time to listen to each ghost he comes across and helps them get over their emotional turmoil so they can pass on. When the ghosts’ way of getting to the afterlife is threatened, Dorian wants to do everything he can to try and help fix the problem.

This was one of the most hard-hitting graphic novels I have ever read. It has many heavy topics such as dealing with grief, burnout, and the importance of keeping boundaries with others. Dorian believes that he has to do everything he can to help the ghosts, even overworking himself to exhaustion, because he is the only one who can usually see them. His past also causes him to act this way, but I won’t spoil any of that.

I was surprised by the emotional depth of this graphic novel. Going in, I knew I was going to love this story, but I didn’t realize how much it was going to hit me. I adored watching Dorian’s development and growth. He was a great character who has such pure intentions, which ultimately causes him to always take everyone else’s needs before his own. I’m glad he had someone like Brody in his life to help with his growth. They had such a beautiful relationship which I adored with all my heart.

Also, this is one of the most beautifully illustrated graphic novels I have ever read. Johanna’s style is stunning to look at and added in the creepy gothic aesthetic when it is needed for the story. I will definitely be getting this book for my collection.

I hope we get more from this world someday. I’d love to see more of Dorian and Brody’s story.

 
Book 96: The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain

By Lloyd Alexander

Read September 18th

Pages: 122

Release Year: 1973

📚📚📚📚
 

I love The Chronicles of Prydain. This is a great little collection of short stories which all take place before the events of the main series. I liked learning more about many of the characters from Prydain. My favorites are  about Dallben and Angharad.
 
Book 97: Scarlet Witch, Vol. 1: Witches' Road

By James Robinson, Vanesa Del Rey (Illustrator)

Read September 19th-20th

Pages: 112

Release Year: 2016

📚📚📚
 

I decided to check this out because I wanted to see Wanda and Agatha in the Marvel comics. The best part was the relationship between Agatha and Wanda. I liked seeing their interactions. It also is about the Witches’ Road, which I wanted to see before watching it in Agatha All Along. I didn’t enjoy this as much as I wanted to.
 
 
Book 98: Hotel Dare

By Terry Blas, Claudia Aguirre (Illustrator)

Read September 22nd

Pages: 144

Release Year: 2019

📚📚📚📚
 
 
The family/found family elements are the best parts of this book. It focuses on how family goes so much beyond blood relationships and the bond that can be made between your friends. I love the idea of the hotel having portals to all kinds of different worlds. There was a balance between both fantasy and science fiction worlds. Love the space pirates.

The grandmother’s story was one of the most interesting aspects of the entire graphic novel. I like that we learned about it throughout the entire story. This made me think of a bit of Coco with the familial elements.

A beautiful graphic novel with so many elements I love in stories. Found family, portals, magical users, space pirates, and so much more. I highly recommend this book. Claudia Aguirre does a wonderful job bringing Terry Blas’s story to life in her stunning illustrations. Hopefully, they will return to this world someday. I know I would pick up another volume to see what happens next.

 
Book 99: Anzue and the Realm of Darkness

By Mai K. Nguyen

Read September 23rd

Pages: 256

Release Year: 2024

📚📚📚📚📚
 

This has been a great year for graphic novel releases. Anzu and the Realm of Darkness is a middle grade story focusing on a young girl named Anzu, who has just moved to a new town during Obon. Obon is a time for families to celebrate their ancestors. She follows a dog down the street while trying to avoid the festivities with her family and accidentally stumbles into Yomi, the underworld. There she finds out the dog is the Gatekeeper of Yomi and he sets out to get her home.

Anzu goes on both a physical and emotional journey while traveling through Yomi. Her story focuses on cultural identity, having faith in yourself, and how the choices you make impact your life. I love how it was not only Anzu who had to learn during their trek through Yomi, but also the Gatekeeper.

I particularly loved the lessons Anzu learned from her grandmother throughout the entire story. Like Anzu, I have had a hard time when I lost my grammy. What I wouldn’t give to be able to talk to her again one more time.

The messages were beautiful along with the stunning illustrations. I loved learning about Japanese culture and religion. This made me want to read more about Japanese mythology. Definitely, a new favorite that I will be picking up for my collection. 

 
Book 100: Wrath of the Triple Goddess
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 7

By Rick Riordan

Read September 28th-29th

Pages: 343

Release Year: 2024

📚📚📚📚📚
 

 It is always an absolute joy reading a Percy Jackson book. Rick’s humor is some of my favorite, especially in Percy’s voice. He’s hilarious. I love getting to see Percy, Annabeth, and Grover working on quests again. Their friendship/relationship has always been the best aspects from the Camp Half-Blood stories. There are so many references to the other books, many of those being from The Sea of Monsters. Makes me want to reread them.
 
Wrath of the Triple Goddess is the perfect book to read around Halloween with the goddess Hecate being such a major focus. I liked learning more about her in this story and the other witches. Witches will always be one of my favorite types of characters to read about. Such an entertaining read and a great time. Looking forward to seeing Percy’s next quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment