Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, February 13, 2023

Reviews Week 6

Reviews Week 6

February 6th-12th

Book 27: Northranger

By Rey Terciero

Read February 6th

Pages Read: 240

📚📚📚📚
I have never read Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey but I definitely plan on it now after reading this graphic novel. Rey explains at the end of this piece that he decided to write a more modern day take on that story with the main character being obsessed with horror movies instead of gothic books. This book had a very sweet male/male relationship between the main character Cade and new friend Henry, who has met at the ranch he is spending the summer at. 
 
The illustration style in this comic was stunning and it fit perfectly with the story. I loved the eerie feeling that we got from many of the scenes that went perfectly with how Cade was feeling at the time. Cade is dealing with having to be in a place that he doesn't feel comfortable in, a new relationship, and the homophobic/racist people in South Texas. Northranger was a great read that I highly recommend. This was an impactful book with messages that I connected to a lot even though I'm older than the target audience.
 
Also, I love that Rey has done other graphic novel retellings of classics. I own his Swan Lake: Quest for the Kingdoms book and plan on picking up his others. 
 
*Thank you to Netgalley for my ARC of this wonderful graphic novel. All of my opinions are my own.*

Book 28: The God of Endings

By Jacqueline Holland

Read February 5th-9th

Pages Read: 480

📚📚📚📚 
 I was intrigued by this book as soon as I read its description. Then I heard that it is reminiscent of Interview with a Vampire and The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, and I got excited to read it. It did not disappoint me in the slightest. Jacqueline Holland's writing in this book was wonderful. She creates such an atmospheric world that has a feeling of horror, heartbreak, and mystery. The God of Endings is a vampire story at its heart, and I fell in love with it from the beginning. It questions the point of having an immortal life and what a person can do with it.

I enjoyed that we switched back and forth between Collette's (Anna's) past and her present day. It was great to learn so much about her life after she got turned. Those scenes help the reader learn even more about her as a character. Though, there were a couple of times that I wished we had stayed in the present-day scenes because of what was happening.

My favorite part of the story was the scenes from Collette's present day as a preschool teacher. Many of those scenes were heartbreaking, especially with Leo. As someone who has worked with children for over a decade, I connected a lot with what she was going through in those scenes. It was unexpected and undeniably both heartbreaking and beautiful. I could not help tearing up multiple times throughout the book, especially in the last chapter. This book touched my heart. I highly recommend it.

*Thank you so much to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC. I had such an incredible time reading this book.*

Book 29: Unfamiliar

By Haley Newsome

Read February 10th

Pages Read: 160

📚📚📚
 

 This is a cute witchy graphic novel. I enjoyed the kitchen witch main character Planchette, who has just moved into a new house in a new town and found out that her home is haunted. She makes new friends who help with her ghost problem. A cute story with an interesting illustration style. I will read the second volume that comes out later this year.

Book 30: Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books

 in Three Panels

By Lisa Brown

Read February 11th

Pages Read: 80

📚📚📚

 Short little takes on mostly classic books (some are newer books like Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.). Some of these comic takes on the books were quite humorous, but others were not as good. I like books like these that take classic tales and give the reader a different take on them. Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels has some good comics and ones that I did not enjoy.

Book 31: Healing Light

By Alexandra Villard de Borchgrave

Read February 12th

Pages Read: 94

📚📚📚📚  
 A beautiful collection of poetry and artwork to go along with the poems. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment