Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

2023 Debut Books I’m Excited About

 Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

2023 Debut Books I’m Excited About

 Prompt: These can be actual brand new authors, age-group-shifting debuts like when a YA author writes their first adult book, or genre-shifting debuts like when an author who has always written romance releases a thriller.

1. The God of Endings by Jacqueline Holland- I have been looking forward to this novel ever since I first heard about it last year. Recently, I was lucky enough to get an ARC of it and started reading on Sunday night. It is absolutely wonderful so far. The novel follows the main character: Collette who runs a preschool focused on the arts for children in upstate New York. She is also a vampire that was turned by her grandfather over one hundred years before. The story switches between her present day life in 1984 and her past.

2. Psyche and Eros by Luna McNamara- The myth of the god Eros's relationship with Psyche has always been one of my favorites. As soon as I saw that this was coming out this year, I knew that I would have to read it. I cannot wait until it comes out in May. 

3. Midnight Strikes by Zeba Shahnaz- Time loop, a roguish prince, and court intrigue. This book sounds amazing and I cannot wait to read it when it comes out next month. Just a lot of fun.

4. Reynard's Tale: A Story of Love and Mischief by Ben Hatke- This is Ben Hatke's first project for adult readers. I have always loved the tales of Reynard the fox from folklore and am eagerly awaiting this book to come out in April. It will be great to see an adult take on his stories in the graphic novel format.

5. The Fifth Horseman: A Comic Fantasy That Rides Roughshod Over the Rules of Life… and Death by Jon Smith- This is Jon's adult debut and it sounds right up my alley. The Fifth Horseman is a comic tale about Grim reapers trying to prevent the End Times. It is being compared to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and is said to be perfect for fans of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I eagerly await to see how true this is. 

6. The Song of Us by Kate Fussner- A queer middle grade novel-in-verse retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice...YES! I have been excited for this ever since last year. I'm a huge mythology fan and I love the idea of this book so much. It sounds like a great middle grade read.

7. Solomon's Crown by Natasha Siegel- A queer enemies-to-lovers romance, set in medieval Europe sounds absolutely perfect. It is also being compared to The Song of Achilles but less tragic, which makes me so excited to read it.

8. The Long Run by James Acker- This book sounds very good and I look forward to reading it.

9. Godkiller by Hannah Kaner- I was first interested in this book because of the cover and the name, but then I read the description. This book sounds so good and I hope that it is as great as it sounds. Mythology is one of my favorite things, and I especially love when an author makes up their own. 

10. Juniper Harvey and the Vanishing Kingdom by Nina Varela- I already read this book earlier this year and highly enjoyed it. This is Nina's first middle grade novel and it was so much fun. I highly recommend it for middle grade fantasy lovers. If you are interested here is my review for the book: Juniper Harvey and the Vanishing Kingdom review.


10 comments:

  1. Nice mix of books! The Long Run is on my list too.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Long Run looks interesting! Enjoy them all.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've got some fun reading ahead of you. Enjoy!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psyche and Eros is one I've added to my TBR after seeing it on a couple of lists this week, it sounds great!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/02/07/top-ten-tuesday-406/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my post. Hope you enjoy your list too.

      Delete