Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, February 6, 2023

Reviews Week 5

 Reviews Week 5

January 30th- February 5th

Book 22: Gallant

By V. E. Schwab

Read January 25th-31st

Pages Read: 334

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š


 This is my second V. E. Schwab book and I have got to say that I have fallen in love with the way she writes characters. Olivia’s story drew me in from the beginning of the book. I adored how we got bits and pieces of the the story throughout and slowly found out with Olivia what was happening. The pieces of her mother’s journals, the stunning drawings, and the mysterious master of the house where all pieces of a narrative that surprised me. Gallant intrigued me and had me wanting to know what would happen next the entire time. I loved the eerie setting and mood that filled this novel.

Book 23: New Lease of Life

By Lillian Francis

Read February 2nd

Pages Read: 231

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

I liked this romance story between Phillip (Pip) and Colby. It was cute to see how their relationship developed over the course of the book and I always enjoy a grumpy character and a cheerful character together. The dynamic that develops between them was cute. Also, I enjoyed the sarcastic humor throughout the book and how they played off of each other. Colby is sweet and caring to Pip but he also does not let his grumpiness get to him. It was sweet. 

Book 24: The Collected Enchantments

By Theodora Goss

Read February 3rd-5th

Pages Read: 436

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
This collection of fantastical short stories and poetry was quite a mixed bag for me. I loved many of Theodora's poems so much. They are different takes on fairy tales, folklore, or mythology, which really stand out. I adored her writing style and would read more of her work. Along with the poems, she has many short stories interspersed. I enjoyed quite a bit of those, especially "Christopher Raven."

Many of her short stories, though, were not for me. It took me forever to read some of them; they did not hold my interest in the way I want from fantasy. Though many of them were great, like I said about "Christopher Raven," that story was unique. They were different from what I wanted.
 
I recommend Theodora Goss's beautiful writing style for fantasy readers, especially her poetry. One of my favorite parts of the collection was her introduction: "Why I Write Fantasy." It was great to learn about her as a writer and these aspects can be seen in her writing.
 
*Thank you to Edelweiss for my ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.*

Book 25: The Sea in You

By  Jessi Sheron

Read February 5th

Pages Read: 224

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
A wonderful queer graphic novel retelling of "The Little Mermaid" that I highly enjoyed. The art style of this graphic novel was stunning and I cannot wait to read what will happen next. I loved the twists to the original fairy tale and how Jessi took Corinth and Skylla's story. The Sea in You was absolutely beautiful in every way and I highly recommend it to fans of the original fairy tale. I will be picking up a copy for my collection.
 
*Thank you to Edelweiss for my ARC of this beautiful book. All opinions are my own.*  

Book 26: Disney One Saturday Morning Adventures

By Daan Jippes, Craig Boldman, 

and Stefan Petrucha

Read February 5th

Pages Read:192

 πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

I grew up reading Disney Adventures magazine and watching all of these shows. Recess and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh were definitely my favorites. Many of these comics I have seen before probably in Disney Adventures. I enjoyed reading these quite a bit and it made me think of how much I enjoyed these shows as a kid. Very nostalgic. These comics are definitely what you think they would be going into this book.

*Thank you to Edelweiss for my ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.* 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment