Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Reviews Week 28-30

 Reviews Week 28-30

July 11th-31st

Book 81: Spider-Man's Social Dilemma

By Preeti Chhibber

Read on July 12th-14th

📚📚📚📚

This book was so much fun! I have always been a sucker for Spider-Man stories, and as soon as I saw this one on Netgalley, I had to request it. I'm so glad that I did.

In this book, Peter deals with being Spider-Man for just a few months, first love, a group project, a new job, and a mystery of what is happening around New York City. I'm glad that this was not an origin story and the fact that Peter has been Spider-Man for a bit of time. The Spider-Man origin story has been done enough. It was great seeing him start at the Bugle in this book and all the interactions with J. Jonah Jameson. JJJ will always be a favorite Spider-Man character of mine, and his parts give a ton of laughs.

This book was hilarious and sweet. Loved the budding relationship between Peter and MJ. Preetri has given Peter a great voice that stands out throughout the book. Also, MJ was one of the best parts of this book, and I loved seeing how much she supported Peter and her feelings throughout the book. It's great not only having Peter's perspective on everything but also other characters such as MJ and Sandman. I'm interested to see where the next book will go, especially with the ending.

I will pick up the other books in this series when they come out. This book would be great for middle schoolers and anyone who loves a good Spider-Man story. Also, I want to say that this is not the MCU Spiderman, so you know that going in.

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.*

Book 82: The Tight End

By Raleigh Ruebins

Read on July 21st

📚📚📚📚

This was a great story that I enjoyed. I have not read the other books in the series, but I definitely plan on going back to read them now. Loved the romance throughout this and the characters. They were so sweet, and their relationship was great from the beginning.

Book 83: The Kite

By N. R. Walker

Read on July 22nd

📚📚

I love N. R. Walker's books so much, but sadly I didn't connect with this one the way I usually do. The romance wasn't the best for me. I wanted more from it, and I wish I could have rated this higher, but it just wasn't for me. 

Book 84: Christmas Wish List

By N. R. Walker

Read on July 23rd-24th

📚📚📚📚📚

I love how perfectly N. R. Walker has encapsulated the joy of Christmas and the wonder of the holiday in this book and the first in the Hartbridge Christmas books. It really does feel like a Hallmark town, and I am all for that. The cheesier, the better.

Well, I guess it is becoming a tradition for me to read a Christmas book in the summer. N. R. Walker has become my go-to when I need a cute story to cheer me up, and this was the perfect book for that. I loved Cass and Jayden so much. They were adorably cute, and I loved their slow-burn romance. This book made me happy and laugh out loud throughout the whole thing. I love the cozy feeling I feel when reading a book like this.

I hope that she writes more from this town. I'd love to see more of these characters and their world.

Book 85: Hard Road Back

By Andrew Grey

Read on July 25th

📚📚📚📚

I loved Martin and Scarborough's story. I love cowboy romances even though I do not like westerns. This was a perfect example of that and was so sweet. Also, I loved Storm the horse and how similar he was to his owner, Scary. They felt like kindred spirits, and I can see why Scary got Storm from the auction.

Book 86: My Imaginary Mary

By Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows

Read on July 25th-26th

📚📚📚📚📚

One of my most anticipated books of the year, and I'm happy to say that I received a review copy of the book.

I have read every Lady Janies' book and have loved almost all of them. Their sense of humor is some of my favorite in books. This book was the one that I was looking forward to the most because I love Mary Shelley and Frankenstein. The fantasy and science fiction elements were some of the best aspects of the story.

Also, the friendship between Mary and Ada was just wonderful to read. I have always loved how the Janies took historical characters in their books, but this one was the best. Mary and Ada were such strong characters, and I loved learning more and more about them throughout the story. The changes made to the historical aspects were perfect, and adding the magical elements was a significant part of the overall story.

The allusions to other works of fantasy such as Narnia, Peter Pan, and many other works were just the right amount. I am always a fan of good uses of references in literature. The best was the way the story of Frankenstein was used in the plot. I won't spoil any of that because I think it's best not to know much.

I will always love how the Janies write characters and their humorous takes on historical stories. The characters of Mary, Ada, Pan, and Mary's sisters, Fanny and Jane (oh, I mean Claire, haha), were just great, and (view spoiler)

Overall, I loved this book so much and am looking forward to seeing which Mary, the Janies write about next. I hope it's Marie Antoinette.

*Thank you to the publisher and also NetGalley for my ARC of this book. All opinions are my own. *

Book 87: Looking Back: A Book of Memories

By Lois Lowry

Read on July 18th-27th

📚📚📚📚📚

I absolutely adored this book so much. Writing a memoir through words and pictures was such a great idea. Also, the quotes from Lois's books were great additions. One of my favorite memoirs, and I liked reading her quotes from her other books. I have read The Giver and Number the Stars. Definitely, am interested in picking up some of her other ones.

''I have come to believe that all of us, as we write, or read, or draw...

as we hold the pages of a book tilted so that a little one can see...

as we choose and wrap a book as a gift for a child...

as we provide privacy and a comfortable chair, or a favorite book on a 

table beside a guest room bed...

as we sift through memories, sort them out and see their meaning...

and as we look back, and say to a child, 'I remember--'

we do, in fact, hold the knowledge of centuries. 

And we all become Givers."- My favorite quote from the book and one of the best I have ever read. 

Book 88: Crumbs

By Danie Stirling

Read on July 27th

📚📚📚📚

Such a wonderfully sweet romance! Love the beautiful illustrations and the story, especially the message.

Book 89: The Sandman

Overture- 30th Anniversary Edition

By Neil Gaiman

Read on July 28th

📚📚📚📚📚

July 28th, 2022 review: 

This time around I wanted to read this one first since most of the story takes place before the events of the other volumes. It is so beautiful, and I love the story in this one.

October 19th, 2022 review:

This was definitely my favorite from the series. I love getting more of Morpheus's story and of his world. Also, the artwork in this volume goes above and beyond. It was masterful. J.H. Williams III did an incredible job with the art in this volume. It was stunning to look at and it went perfectly with the story.

This was a prequel in parts but also a continuation. I really loved how the ending of this was the beginning of the series as a whole. I really just want more of Morpheus as a character and this was a great addition to his story.

Book 90: The Sandman 

Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes- 30th Anniversary Edition

By Neil Gaiman

Read on July 28th

📚📚📚📚

7/28/22 review:

I decided to pick up the first couple of volumes again of Sandman before the tv show comes out, and I have got to say I enjoyed this, even more this time. It is going to be great to see these stories adapted.

1/01/20 review:

Creepy and eerie. I enjoyed the stuff with Dream and Death and cannot wait to see what else will come with this story.

Book 91: The Sandman Vol. 2: 

The Doll's House - 30th Anniversary Edition

By Neil Gaiman

Read on July 29th

📚📚📚

These graphic novels are really quite interesting, especially the background we are getting on the Endless Ones. Dream is such an intriguing character, and I can't wait to see more of his story and Death's.

Book 92: The Sandman 

Vol. 3: Dream Country- 30th Anniversary Edition

By Neil Gaiman

Read on July 29th

📚📚📚📚

My favorite part of this volume was the origin story behind Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream. I really enjoyed how Dream played a part in this volume in creating one of my favorites of Shakespeare's plays.

Book 93: Going Postal

By Terry Pratchett

Read on July 29th-30th

📚📚📚📚📚

I have been having so much fun this year with every one of the Discworld books that I have read. At the end of last year, I made a goal for this year to finally finish the series, and now I just finished book 33, so I'm getting there. This book was absolutely wonderful in every single way. 

I loved the introduction to Moist von Lipwig. He was so such a fun character, and I loved seeing his interactions with the other characters, especially Vetinari. I'll never have enough of the genius mastermind that Vetinari always is in the series. It's great that so many characters question why he is not ruling the entire world, because I know I question it all the time. Haha

Loved the whole storyline in the post office and the whole dead letters feel to it all. 

" 'Corporal Nobby Nobbs, sir. Not met him yet? They say he's got an official chitty saying he's human, and who needs one of those, eh? Fortunately, there's only one of him so he can't breed...' "- I could not stop laughing after I read this whole scene. Nobby Nobbs is always a favorite, even when he is just mentioned a little bit.

This book was just so bloody brilliant!!

Book 94: Mary's Monster: Love, Madness, and How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein

By Lita Judge 

Read on July 30th

📚📚📚📚📚

This month became the month of Mary Shelley. First, I did one of my lessons for work on the theme of Alienation in Frankenstein. Then, I read My Imaginary Mary, which was absolutely fantastic. Now, I decided to pick up this beauty. This was one of my favorite pieces of nonfiction that I have ever read. 


The illustrations were absolutely stunning, and the writing was impeccable. Going into this book, I knew very little of Mary Shelley's life and really enjoyed how it was depicted here. I will always be a fan of books that are written in verse. It was a great idea to get so much of it from her journals. This was just such a fabulous book inside and out. 


I cannot believe how horrible Percy Shelley and really most of the men she dealt with were. Screw Shelley for the way he treated Mary. Poor girl fell in love with the prick, who constantly lied to her, then she lost three out of her four children, and he just made her miserable the entire time. It was heartbreaking to read. What I really loved about this book, was the fact of seeing where all of her ideas came from to create Frankenstein. She became the mother of science fiction for a reason. The fact that she started writing Frankenstein when she was only eighteen years old, just amazes me. 


I highly recommend this to teen readers and anyone who loves Frankenstein. This was such a beautiful book that's impact is significant. 


Book 95: Lightfall: Shadow of the Bird

By Tim Probert 

Read on July 31st

📚📚📚📚📚

This book was just as excellent as the first one, and I want to see more and more from this world. Tim's story and art style are some of the best I have seen in graphic novels. I definitely recommend this to middle-grade readers out there. I wish I could have had this book when I was a kid. I cannot wait to see where Tim takes the story from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment