Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Reviews Week 32

Reviews Week 32

August 8th-14th

Book 102: The Gingerbread Witch

By Alexandra Overy  

Read on August 7th-8th

📚📚📚📚

What an interesting take on witches from fairy tales and fantasy in general. There are references to Little Red Riding Hood and also Hansel and Gretel. It was enjoyable to see the part they had to play within the story, which was different from any take I have seen of them. I have always been a big fan of retellings of stories, and I love where this one took this tale of the witch from Hansel and Gretel.

In The Gingerbread Witch, we follow the character of Maud, one of Agatha's gingerbread creations. She, along with Agatha's other gingerbread creations, go off on an adventure to try and save Agatha after she is pushed into her oven. Maud and her friends go into the Shadowlands in hopes of finding some way of bringing Agatha back. Along the way, she meets and befriends witch hunters named the Wolves and learns more about Agatha than she had before.

I enjoyed Alexandra's take on these fairy tales and would love to see more from this world.

*Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for my ARC of the book. All opinions are my own.*


Book 103: Echo North

By Joanna Ruth Meyer 

Read on August 9th-10th

📚📚📚📚📚

August 10th, 2022 Review:

It has been over three years since I first read this book, and I think I loved it even more this time. I love the world that Joanna has created. It is so intriguing, and I did not want to leave it. I'm excited about the companion book and returning to the world again. The house that the wolf brings Echo to is such a neat idea. I have yet to read the original fairy tale, but I'd like to see how many similarities this has to that. This book was beautiful, and I highly recommend it for fairy tale and fantasy lovers.

January 16th, 2019 Review:

A beautiful retelling that felt like a classic fairytale. I really loved this take on "East of Sun and West of the Moon" (which I have yet to read), but it has many similarities with the original Beauty and the Beast fairy tale.

An exciting story with twists and turns that were expected and unexpected.


Book 104: Instructions

By Neil Gaiman

Read on August 10th

📚📚📚📚📚

I really enjoyed this story of a traveler being led on an adventure around a fantasy world through Neil's poem. The poem was beautiful, and the illustrations were stunning. Charles Vess will always be a favorite of mine, and I love every collaboration he and Neil have worked on together. I know I will share this excellent piece of art with my children one day.


Book 105: Beetle & the Hollowbones

By Aliza Layne

Read on August 10th

📚📚📚📚

A cute story that I really enjoyed reading. Loved the illustrations and the characters, especially Blob Ghost. Also, this had some good queer representation.


Book 106: When We Were Young

By A.A. Milne  

Read on August 13th

📚📚📚📚


A cut set of poems that I enjoyed.

Book 107: Now We Are Six

By A.A. Milne

Read on August 13th

📚📚📚📚


A cut set of poems that I enjoyed.

Book 108: Thud!

By Terry Pratchett

Read on August 12th-13th

📚📚📚📚📚

I have loved watching Sam Vimes' growth throughout this entire Watch subseries. The Watch has come such a long way since Guards, Guards, and I love the references to that book in this one. Now, Sam is a father that rushes home to Little Sam every night at six so that he can read "Where's My Cow" to him. I adored the plotlines with that. Sam is a character I love spending time with, and I'm sad that this is my second to last Watch book. I cannot believe I only have seven books left in the entire Discworld series.

“Ye gods, it was so much better when there were just four of us up against that bloody great dragon, Vimes thought as they walked on. Of course, we nearly got burned alive a few times, but at least it wasn't complicated. It was a damned great dragon. You could see it coming. It didn't get political on you.”

The Nobby Nobs jokes will never get old. I love how he is always in a comedic duo with Colon and the shenanigans that they get themselves into. Loved their scenes in the Pink PussyCat Club. Especially the one with Angua, which made me laugh so hard.


“A VERY ACCURATE ONE. YOU SEE, YOU ARE HAVING A NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCE, WHICH INESCAPABLY MEANS THAT I MUST UNDERGO A NEAR-VIMES EXPERIENCE. DON’T MIND ME. CARRY ON WITH WHATEVER YOU WERE DOING. I HAVE A BOOK.” - One of the best lines from Terry's books, definitely one of the best Death scenes.


One of the best new characters was A.E. Pessimal, who surprised me quite a bit. It was great that he was supposed to be watching over the Watch for Vetinari, but that is not exactly what happens. I love that he right away says that the Librarian is an orangutan and the Librarian's reaction to that. It was so funny.

I really loved this book so much and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment