Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, August 22, 2022

Review Week 33

 Reviews Week 33

August 15th- 21st

Book 109: Wintersmith

By Terry Pratchett 

Read on August 15th

📚📚📚📚📚


I love the Nac Mac Feegles and following Tiffany as she's learning from such powerful witches. It was great how much of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg we got in this book. I've wanted interactions with Tiffany and Nanny, and I'm glad to say they were everything I wanted from them. I can't wait to see where the next book in the Tiffany subseries goes.

Stories with the seasons personified have always been my favorites, and I liked those elements throughout this book, especially with the Wintersmith himself. Terry delving into more of the myths of the Discworld was another great part of this book that I had a lot of fun with. Also, I really enjoyed the parts with the elderly witch Miss Treason. She was such an entertaining addition to the story, and I loved her scenes with Tiffany.

The Nac Mac Feegle's journey into the underworld was absolutely hysterical. I love the scenes with the ferryman and how upset they make him. Also, their nickname for Granny Weatherwax: The Hag O' Hags is just great.

Overall, this was another enjoyable addition to the series that I loved.

Book 110: Wind Daughter

By Joanna Ruth Meyer

Read on August 14th-18th

📚📚📚📚


*Spoilers for the first book if you have not read that. I recommend doing so before you read this book.*

I really enjoyed this companion to Echo North. Seeing more of Echo, Hal, Peter, and Inna and getting more of Satu and her family was great. I will say that Satu's voice sounds more immature than a young adult's, which detracted from a good portion of the book for me. She never felt that she could have been around the same age as Echo during her journey, even though she is said to be.

Joanna does an incredible job weaving the story together, and I enjoyed how she took this story. Especially with the Winter Lord and Satu's connection. It was intriguing to learn more about him throughout the book. This book's last one hundred pages are my favorite and made the book for me. Also, Echo and Hal's part in this book made me so happy. I'm glad that they got a happy ending.

Book 111: Somewhere Out There

By Don Bluth

Read on August 18th-20th

📚📚📚📚📚

Just like the Disney Animated movies, my childhood was also marked by the animated movies made by Don Bluth, such as An American Tale, Anastasia, The Land Before Time, Thumbelina, The Secret of Nimh, and All Dogs Go to Heaven. I also really love the game Dragon's Lair, which I have a version of on my Nintendo Switch. Those movies meant so much to me, so I was very excited when I saw the ARC of Somewhere Out There on NetGalley. Then, I found the audiobook on Audible and decided to listen to it while reading my ARC copy. I'm glad that I did. 

It was absolutely wonderful hearing about Don Bluth's life and career in his own words. He did an incredible job reading the book, and I loved the personality that he gave it. There were times that he would laugh at his decisions or about what he was saying, which made it feel so genuine. Don made it feel like he was just sitting down and telling you a story about his life like he was an old friend.  The illustrations in the book were another great addition to his story. I love the one at the very end of the book. It's wonderful!

This book is not only for the fans of Don Bluth or animation but also for creators themselves. It tells of Don's dream and how he works to become an animator. I enjoyed this journey and seeing the elements of his life that went into his movies. His love for the early movies from Disney animation, such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, greatly impacted his later life and dreams. I loved seeing how Walt was one of his heroes since he was a child and getting to see when he started to work for the Disney company. 

Also, every time I read the cover; I think of the song ''Somewhere Out There'' from An American Tale. That song will always be a favorite of mine. 

I am so glad that I picked up a copy of this book, and I will definitely be buying a physical copy for my collection. 

*Thank you to Netgalley for my ARC of the ebook all opinions are my own. *

Book 112: Castle Waiting Vol 2

By Linda Medley

Read on August 21st-22nd

📚📚📚📚

I really enjoyed this second collection of comics about the residents and visitors of the Castle. This found family is one of my favorites, and I loved the little adventures they went on throughout the book. The secret passageways, the bowling tournament, the ghost, and moving rooms. It was a lot of fun reading this, and I wish that it could continue on. I don’t know if that will ever happen, but if it does, I know I will buy the third volume. I want to see if I can get this and the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment