Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, June 5, 2023

Reviews Week 22

 Reviews Week 22

May 29th- June 4th

Book 81: Lost in a Good Book

By Jasper Fforde

Read May 27th-29th

Pages Read: 399

📚📚📚📚📚

I adore the Thursday Next series and cannot wait to continue with it after this book. Jasper Fforde surprised me a bit in this book's direction after the last one, but it sure was great. The book jumping, mystery, and time travel aspects are just as enjoyable as they were in the previous novel. I'd love to be able to travel to books just like Thursday does. 

In this adventure, Thursday's husband, Landon, gets eradicated, and he spends the story trying to get him back. She is also trying to help her father save the world and learn about her ability to book jump. A new group called the Jurisfiction is introduced, teaching Thursday about her ability. 

It was great that we got the Cheshire Cat, the Red Queen, and many other characters along the way. Miss Havisham from Great Expectations was a joy, and I love her relationship with Thursday. I look forward to seeing more of her in future books. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will be continuing with the next book in June.

Book 82: The Girl Who Speaks Bear

By Sophie Anderson

Read May 30th-31st

Pages Read: 416

📚📚📚📚

Such a beautiful story! I loved how Sophie used the fairy tales throughout the entire book and how they fit along with the rest of the novel. Vanka’s adventure was one that I could not get enough of. Sophie’s writing style is great and I love her Russian folktale/fairy tale novels.

Book 83: The Story of the Hundred Promises

By Neil Cochrane 

Read June 1st-4th

Pages Read: 400

📚📚📚📚📚

Neil Cochrane's writing is absolutely stunning throughout this beautiful novel. I had such a great time reading about Darragh and Merrigan. The book's first part focuses on Darragh's journey to find the Enchanter he met when he was thirteen. I love how it combined his story with the tales of the Enchanter that his land tells. Then, when we get to the book's second part, we find out the Enchanter's story, named Merrigan. 

I loved how Neil weaved so many tales of love that the characters feel. This is not your typical "Beauty and the Beast" retelling, but it does have some of the elements. It was interesting to see how they were used to tell this story. 

This novel is one of the most beautiful books I have read of the year, and I look forward to reading more of Neil's work. I will say, go in expecting this to have elements of "Beauty and the Beast," but remember, as the synopsis says, that it is loose. The tales that Neil has created for this book were some of the best parts, and I loved seeing how they fit in with the rest of the story, especially after you learn about Merrigan's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment