Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, May 29, 2023

Reviews Week 21

  Reviews Week 21

May 22nd-28th

Book 76: Spider-Man & Venom: Double Trouble

By Mario Tamaki

Read May 22nd

Pages Read: 112 

📚📚📚📚

This is a cute child-friendly story dealing with Spider-Man & Venom. It is an enjoyable read with a fun little adventure. I really like this Double Trouble series and am looking forward to reading the next one with Miles and Peter ganging up.

Book 77: Disney Hamlet, starring Donald Duck

By Giorgio Salati

Read May 23rd

Pages Read: 72

📚📚📚📚

I’ll always be a fan of the old Disney cartoons and comics dealing with Donald Duck, Scrooge, Mickey, Goofy, etc. This book was a fun take on Shakespeare’s Hamlet with Donald Duck as the main character. It has everything you would think would come in a retelling of its nature, with changes made for children. I recommend going into it expecting a cute retelling of Hamlet with some famous Disney characters.

Book 78: The Annotated American Gods

By Neil Gaiman

Read May 21st-24th

Pages Read: 656

📚📚📚

This was a bit of a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I loved some of this story's mythological aspects. Mythology will always be a selling point for me in books. Also, this is described as a road trip of sorts, which are books I am always looking for. So, American Gods had everything in it that I thought I would adore. Though I must say, I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted. 

Neil Gaiman's writing was strong in many parts of the book, as it always is, but I could not help but think that it was too much at times. It was disjointed throughout, going between many scenes/characters, which I usually do not mind. This book dragged for me a lot in the middle, with all the flashbacks and little stories. I would have enjoyed this book better if some of this was cut out. I would have rather it focused on Shadow and stuck to his story. American Gods was not for me.

Book 79: Johnny and the Dead

By Terry Pratchett 

Read May 24th-25th

Pages Read: 224

📚📚📚

The second book in the Johnny Maxwell series was another good middle-grade novel. It had much of Terry's trademark humor as it continued with Johnny's story. Instead of being able to talk to aliens in a game, this time around, Johnny can speak with the dead. With his newfound ability, he tries to help the dead in the cemetery in town. I enjoyed his dynamic with the elderly "dead" people (they don't like being called ghosts) and how he related to them.

Book 80: Douglas Adams Live in Concert

By Douglas Adams

Read May 25th

📚📚📚📚

Review from May 25, 2023
It was highly enjoying listening to this live reading from Douglas Adams of scenes from his Hitchhiker’s novels. I particularly enjoyed the first and the final parts of this reading. He was one of the most entertaining authors of literature and I love celebrating his life on Towel day every year. 

Review from September 11th, 2020:
I really enjoyed listening to Douglas Adams read some excerpts from his novels. Wish I could find the audiobook versions that he read himself of all of the books. This was just so entertaining and funny. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment