Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, March 6, 2023

Reviews Week 9

 Reviews Week 9

February 27th- March 5th

Book 43: Time Cat 

By Lloyd Alexander

Read February 27th- March 1st

Pages Read: 211

πŸ“šπŸ“š
I fell in love with Lloyd Alexander's writing last year when I read the 2nd-5th books in The Chronicles of Prydain series for the first time. So, I was looking forward to picking up another of his fantasy stories. Time Cat was a book I had heard about a couple of years ago and had to pick it up. I will always be a cat and time travel lover. The premise of this book sounded great, and I looked forward to seeing where Lloyd took the story.

Sadly, I did not enjoy the execution of it much at all. Gareth and Jason travel through nine different periods and places, seeing the world from Ancient Egypt to pre-Revolutionary America. The places they go are interesting, and the traveling made me think of Mr. Peabody and Sherman, which was always a favorite of mine. But, they did not stay in the places long enough, and most of their adventures played out the same. Jason and Gareth would get kidnapped or taken in by a group, and Jason would then explain how cats acted to whoever took them in. Then, they would travel on to the next time and place.

Also, there was not enough world-building for any of the places they visited. I wish we had more time in each location and learned more about the people and that time. Two chapters for each time and place was insufficient time to establish them. My favorite place they traveled to was Italy, where they met a young Leonardo Da Vinci.

This is a book that I believe could get kids interested in learning more about history. The whole idea of a time-traveling cat was such a great idea, and I wish it had been as intriguing as it sounded.

Book 44: Midnight Strikes

By Zeba Shahnaz

Read March 2nd-5th

Pages Read: 448

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
 Along with time travel stories, I have always enjoyed time loops. When I heard this book would deal with them, I had to pick it up, and I'm so glad I did. It was a time loop fairy tale that I loved from start to finish.

It was surprising to see the number of times that Anais repeats the same day throughout the book, and I enjoyed seeing how Zeba took that as the story continued. AnaΓ―s is dealing with being the only person in the kingdom to relive the same day continuously and remember what is happening. It was interesting to see how she used that in her plans throughout.

I'm glad we also saw what this did to AnaΓ―s emotionally. It's a lot to relive the same day repeatedly, especially when you see everyone die around you, including yourself.

Midnight Strikes was a fun young adult novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The romance was cute, the characters (especially AnaΓ―s and Prince Leo) were great to follow, and the political aspects were intriguing. Overall this book was an enjoyable fantasy novel that I highly recommend.

*Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC of the book. All opinions are my own.*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment