Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, March 27, 2023

Reviews Week 12

Reviews Week 12

March 20th-26th

Book 55: Equal Rites

By Terry Pratchett

Read March 20th-22nd

Pages Read: 256

📚📚📚📚
 Reread from March 20th-22nd:
I highly enjoyed rereading this novel and seeing the introduction to Granny again after finishing the series last year. This was great but I will say I enjoy Granny more when she is working off of Nanny Ogg. Granny Weatherwax is my favorite character in literature and I loved reading about her again.

One of my favorite aspects of Terry’s books his ability to make his readers connect with his books because of the universal topics. He has created a fantasy world that I will never get enough of and that I enjoy revisiting again and again. I will be continuing with my reread of the Witch books the rest of this year.


Review from August 31st-September 7th, 2017:
"Granny, meanwhile was two streets away. She was also, by the standards of other people, lost. She would not see it like that. She knew where she was, it was just that everywhere else didn't." -Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Equal Rites is the third book in the Discworld series and the first book in the Witches sub-series. This is the first novel that introduces one of the influential characters of the series, Granny Weatherwax. Granny has become one of my favorite characters in all literature. She's hilariously funny with her bluntness with anyone that she meets. Her dry way of talking and her expressions make this book. Granny's full name is Esmerelda Weatherwax but is known as Granny by everyone. She's not someone you would want to mess with even with the nickname Granny.

"The second problem was that a bear had found it (the staff) first. In fact, this hadn't been too much of a problem because Granny, already in a bad temper, hit it right between the eyes with the broomstick and it was now sitting as far away from her as it was possible to get in a pit, and trying to think happy thoughts." -Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

The novel starts with an explanation that a wizard has never been a woman. The first character that we meet is an older wizard that is trying to find a newborn boy to give his powers and magical staff. The eighth child of an eighth son is given the power, but the wizard makes a major mistake. He wanted to give it to the eighth son of an eighth son but instead, the child is a girl.

Years, later when the child Eskarina, Esk for short is around eight years old, the town witch Granny wants to train her as a witch. The girl's power does not suit well to what a witch is able to do so her only real option for power is to become a wizard. So Granny decides to bring the girl to the Unseen Univesity to learn to become a wizard.

Terry Pratchett's humor shines in this novel and he has so many different gems of writing throughout (like I have shown above). The Discworld is this fully mapped out world that I am enjoying getting immersed in whenever I pick up one of his books. This book takes some time to get into but trust me it is worth it. The world building and the intricate way that Terry weaves his story is wonderful to experience. I have never been so impressed by an author as I am of him.

I completely recommend reading this series and if you get the chance, listen to the audiobooks of them also. They are great. I will be reading Mort sometime next week and I cannot wait. 

Book 56: Over Sea, Under Stone

By Susan Cooper

Read March 23rd-25th

Pages Read: 196

📚📚
 
There is no way that a less than 200-page book should take me three days to read, especially a middle -grade novel. This book did not interest me in the way that I would have wanted it to. Though, I will say that I am looking forward to the other books in the series to see if the series that it is setting up gets better.
 
I'm a sucker for a book with King Arthur lore and Celtic Mythology, but this was boring. One of my goals this year was to read this entire series, and I will continue with it soon.

Book 57: Make Good Art

By Neil Gaiman

Read March 26th

Pages Read:

📚📚📚📚📚
Another reread for me this week. I have been watching Neil Gaiman's MasterClass and thought about this speech. This time, I decided to read it along while watching his speech, which was a great decision. Neil's speech was terrific, and I love how this book was designed. It is inspirational and a gem of a speech. I highly recommend it to the creatives out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment