Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Thursday, June 30, 2022

Reviews Week 25

 Reviews Week 25

June 20th- 26th

Book 69: Howl's Moving Castle

by Diana Wynne Jones

Read June 19th-20th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

I read Howl's Moving Castle for the first time almost two years ago and fell in love with the tale. Sophie was a character that I related to on a level, unlike any heroine that I have read before her. I loved how she interacted with everything that was going on around her. Especially, with Howl. She's a character that I loved so much during my first read. This time around I believe that I loved her and this story even more.

“I think we ought to live happily ever after.”

First, I would like to talk about Diana's amazing writing style. She has a style so unique to her stories that just pull you into the world. It makes you never want to leave them. I know that I wanted to pick up this book again right after finishing it both times. Her fantasy books are beautiful masterpieces to read, and I cannot get enough of them. The setting of Ingary and the house itself were detailed in such a way that made you believe you were actually there. Fantasy worlds like that are my absolute favorites. 

“Howl’s voice was presently heard shouting weakly, “Help me, someone! I’m dying from neglect up here!”

Next, I'd like to talk about the title character himself, the Wizard Howl. I love our introduction to this character through the stories that are told about him in Sophie's town. The citizens believe that he steals young women's souls and hearts. This is a trope in many fantasy books about characters like Howl and I love how Diana plays with that through this character. Howl is such a fun character to read about. He's so dramatic! I loved seeing Sophie's way of handling him and his "tantrums" as she called them throughout many parts of the book. You could always tell how much he enjoyed her and the fact that she didn't let him boss her around. He is so eccentric, sassy, and so much fun to read about. I cannot help falling for him along with Sophie. He's a piece of work but I love him so much for it!

“Really, these wizards! You'd think no one had ever had a cold before! Well, what is it?" she asked, hobbling through the bedroom door onto the filthy carpet.

"I'm dying of boredom," Howl said pathetically. "Or maybe just dying.

The world that Diana has created in this tale plays with popular fantasy and fairy tale tropes creating a fantasy world that feels unique and authentic. I loved following Sophie, Howl, Michael, and Calcifer (Howl's fire demon) in their adventure. During this reread, this novel cemented itself as my favorite book of all time. I adored it so much this time around and am so glad that I read it again. It's a beautiful book that I can never get enough of. 

“Go to bed, you fool," Calcifer said sleepily. "You're drunk."

"Who, me?" said Howl. "I assure you, my friends, I am cone sold sober." He got up and stalked upstairs, feeling for the wall as if he thought it might escape him unless he kept in touch with it. His bedroom door did escape him.”

Started Book 70: Les MisΓ©rables 

By Victor Hugo

Started June 23rd

I started Les Mis this week and will be finishing it during week 26. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment