Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Reviews Week 10

 Reviews Week 10

March 7th- 13th 

Book 26: Oh My Gods! 

By Stephanie Cooke, Insha Fitzpatrick, and Juliana Moon 

Read March 10th

πŸ“šπŸ“š

This was an okay take on Greek mythology in a more contemporary setting.

The art style looked very nice throughout the entire volume and I liked the details of Mount Olympus. It probably was the best part of this story by far. 

The dialogue wasn't always the best throughout the story and it felt a little stilted in parts. Also, the characters just didn't seem like their Greek mythology parts as much as I would have liked, especially Zeus and Apollo. Not that I mind the modern take on them at all. I just think that they have the names of Greek mythology characters but feel like they could be any character in a contemporary middle-grade graphic novel. It just was strange to me. 

I can see somewhat what they did with Zeus since he's Karen's father. But, I find it weird that we have his children like Apollo, Artemis, and Athena also in the story and is not ever mentioned. It's made to look like none of them are children of Zeus which is not true to the mythology in the slightest. Also, he is so much unlike any depiction of Zeus I have ever seen and it just didn't feel right to his character.

The overall story in this graphic novel was okay and the mystery for younger readers that don't know much about mythology might be good. It was predictable for me because I know who changes people into stone in Greek Mythology but again this is meant more of an introduction into Greek Mythology, for younger readers. I think that this could be an okay intro for middle-graders who enjoy graphic novels and more contemporary school setting stories. But there are far better Greek Mythology stories out there for Middle-Grade readers, for instance, the Percy Jackson series.

 Book 27: Oh My Gods!: The Forgotten Maze

By Stephanie Cooke, Insha Fitzpatrick, and Juliana Moon 

Read March 10th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

A much more interesting plot and story, dealing with a video game troll. Also, a labyrinth Minotaur-inspired story! Which is always a plus for me. 

I think that this book was so much better than the first. The story was a lot more interesting and the overall plot with the game was a good idea. The artwork was great to look at, especially the maze scenes. I'm a sucker for a labyrinth-inspired story. Also, the whole newspaper idea was interesting. 

I will say though that I find it strange that we have Greek God and Goddess characters in this story like Athena, Apollo, Aphrodite, Ares, etc. and we don't get them really using their powers. There was so much opportunity for it in this one and they just didn't. Also, Ares is nothing like his Greek mythology counterpart. I was actually surprised when Karen was introduced to him in the story because I was expecting someone completely different. And again another child of Zeus that is not a child of him in this story. Though I will say the description of him at the end of the story does state it, unlike the others. 

I did like how the characters all worked together throughout the maze to find a way out of it and to help Ares find Jeff. I just think that we could have got so much more out of all of the Gods and Goddesses in these scenes than we did. This could have introduced some of their powers from mythology. We did get strategy from Athena and archery from Artemis but the rest just seemed to be there.

This was definitely a more enjoyable volume than the last and I do think that I would pick up another one in the series if more were to come out. I've always been a sucker for a Greek Mythology series and I think that this one is a cute one that younger readers would probably enjoy quite a bit.

*Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC of the book. All opinions are my own*

 Book 28: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
By Terry Pratchett 
Read March 11th and 12th
πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
The twenty-eighth Discworld book and the first Young Adult one. 

I really enjoyed this one a lot, especially with the messages that Terry throws in throughout the entire book. The book within the book was also another great addition to this story that I enjoyed reading and listening to throughout. And it goes along pretty well with the story, which does not surprise me at all.

“Because some stories end, but old stories go on, and you gotta dance to the music if you want to stay ahead”

This was a clever parody retelling of the Pied Piper and I loved how Maurice the cat was the mastermind behind it all throughout the book. I actually really enjoyed following along with the rats in this book and it was really interesting to see what they thought about suddenly becoming intelligent, well more intelligent for them. Their characterizations and group structure were very clever. I like how Terry humanized these characters in so many ways and made you get attached to them.


Also, we get a character that is related to the Sisters Grimm. I loved the clever ways that Terry brought this all into the story which I have come to expect in his works. He's just the best with references to other works.

“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”

Terry's stories always have such powerful messages throughout and this one definitely has them too. We have philosophical discussions, thoughts on destiny, and plenty of ideas that will get
both young and older readers thinking. Also, I do want to mention how much I loved the character of Maurice. I love cats so much and I always enjoy when Terry talks about cats or has cat characters in his stories. Maurice is definitely up there with Greebo for me.

“Maurice watched them argue again. Humans, eh? Think they're lords of creation. Not like us cats. We know we are. Ever see a cat feed a human? Case proven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment