Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, August 28, 2023

Review Weeks 33-34

 Reviews Weeks 33-34

August 14th-27th

Book 124: Twelfth Night

By William Shakespeare

Read August 17th-18th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

Twelfth Night is my favorite of Shakespeare’s comedies. It’s such a fun experience to visit this one again after so many years away. I cannot tell you how many times this had me laughing out loud, especially with the Malvolio scenes. This had me feeling quite bad for him this time around. Poor guy didn’t deserve to be treated so poorly by Maria, Andrew, and Sir Toby. Though those scenes are some of the best. I love the yellow garters. 

If you have not yet, I recommend the version with Stephen Fry. It is one of the best things I have ever watched. I love how all of the parts are played by men like it would have been in Shakespeare’s time. It brings so much more comedy into the performances. Also, the BBC radio version with David Tennant is a masterpiece. 

Book 125: Witches Abroad

By Terry Pratchett

Read August 24th-25th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

I have been having the time of my life revisiting The Witch subseries this year. Witches Abroad is one of my favorites of the Discworld books and I loved going on this “roadtrip” of sorts with the witches. 

Review from October 24th- 25th, 2020
Definitely, in my top three favorite Discworld books. I loved how Terry played with the fairy tales here and also other classic fantasy stories. There are so many references throughout and it was so funny to see how he used them in the story. There are references to Circe, Achilles, Little Red Riding Hood, the Three Little Pigs, Sleeping Beauty, (obviously) Cinderella, Golllum, and so many others that I won't spoil here. Each were great additions to the story that helped Terry play with classic tropes and turn them on their head. He was such a brilliant writer. 

I love how the witches: Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat play off of each other. They are just so funny to read about. Each has such distinct characteristics that help create a funny situation after another funny situation. And I also really loved Death's part in this as usual. He's always my favorite character.

Overall, I really enjoyed this "road trip" of sorts that the witches go on and the insanity that ensues.

No comments:

Post a Comment