Quote of the Month:

Quote of the Month:

Monday, April 18, 2022

Reviews Week 15

 Reviews Week 15

April 11th-17th

Book 42: Disney Encanto: The Graphic Novel

by Random House Disney

Read April 13th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

A pretty great graphic novel adaptation of the beautiful movie. I loved that they created a graphic novel of the movie and enjoyed reading it to the little girl that I nanny for. She really enjoys stories told in graphic novel form. This one was no exception.

First of all, the artwork throughout this entire book is absolutely stunning just like the movie. The artwork is beautiful just like the story as a whole. It depicts each of the scenes pretty well from the original movie.

I was also glad that they turned many of the lyrics or messages in the songs into dialogue throughout the graphic novel. It would not have made much sense for them to break out into song in this format but I'm glad that they did not take out the messages that these songs held for the story. They all hold a lot of meanings in the scenes. And for the most part, they do a pretty good job of adapting this into the medium.

This was a pretty great adaptation of a movie that I fully adored when I watched it. I'm glad that I picked it up for my collection. It was wonderful.

Book 43: Malice

by Heather Walter

Read April 11th-15th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

Had a great time rereading this beauty before I picked up the sequel. It was just as great as the first time, and I decided to post my review for the first time I read it below this. 

Original Review from March 26th, 2021: 

I really enjoyed this retelling of Sleeping Beauty and the different directions it took the story in. Learning about the different Graces and their powers was an interesting part of it along with Alyce's powers.

The hatred of Alyce and how others treated her throughout the book was terrible. I love how this book focused mainly on Alyce's story and her growth as a character. She's been pushed down so much throughout her entire life and tortured. Watching her figure out her worth throughout the novel and what transpires from her learning more and more about herself were some of the best parts of the novel. I also really liked the romance.

This is somewhat of a villain origin story and I'm all for that, especially that ending. I really enjoyed how dark this book got by the end and how it wasn't the predictable happily ever after. Not that I don't like those types of books, but I'm glad to see something different. Especially since this is a villain story. Cannot wait to read the second book to see what happens next with Alyce.

Overall, this was a great book that I'm so glad that I picked up. Thank you Netgalley for my ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.

Book 44: Misrule

by Heather Walter

Read April 15th-17th

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

I'm glad to say that I enjoyed this sequel just as much as the original. Ever since I finished the first book last year, I have been eagerly awaiting to pick up this one.

It was interesting to see where the story went after the first book finished. I was not quite sure where Walter was going to take Alyce's story, but I can honestly say that I believe it was a great way of doing it. The best part is the introduction to more of this fantasy world and its various other citizens. We get to see the repressed characters in such a new light, and it was great to follow many of them around. Alyce learns quite a bit about prejudice in this story, including her own.

I loved seeing Alyce as the ruler of the Dark Court and how much of a "grey character" she is throughout this entire book. She wasn't the complete villain that you would assume that she would have been after the events at the end of the book. Many characters throughout the book obviously see her as one but they always have. I loved following her perspective again.

Also, I liked Aurora's part in this story a lot. I'm not going to spoil that for anyone, but she plays a very important role in the story.

Loved the introduction of the new characters and races of this world. We get to see Demons, more Villa's, Shifters, and Imps. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the characters throughout the story and their relationship and deep bond with Alyce over the hundred years. I especially loved the Imps they were so funny. Some of the standout new characters are Derek, Neve, Regan, and many others. I felt like we really got to know them throughout and I'm glad that they were part of this world.

And finally, I found the ending perfect for Alyce's story. I know that it is not going to be the best for some people, but I adored it so much. It was wonderful.

*Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my ARC of the book. All opinions are my own. *

No comments:

Post a Comment