D'ORC by Brett Bean
My Star Rating: 4 Stars
Page Count: pages
Genre: Fantasy Graphic Novel
Dates Read: July 21st, 2026
Publication Date: August 25th, 2026
Publisher: Image Comics
Review:
D'ORC has a humor similar to what I have found in the I Hate Fairyland comics, though the story is uniquely Brett Bean's own. I enjoyed the idea of the prophecy causing everyone to believe D'orc is the one meant to bring upon the end of the world and seeing what their blame causes.
The sentient/possessed shield and the ghost of the head of a chicken were clever ideas for companions who brought a lot of humorous scenes. I like how the shield is a play on the talking sword trope and how it is blood thirsty. The ghost chicken head was an interesting take on the animal sidekick. Some of it's scenes were so funny.
There are many powerful messages throughout this volume such as don't blindly judge someone you don't know just because you are told to. It was interesting to see how Brett Bean used these messages in this oftentimes absurd and funny fantasy story.
I have loved Brett Bean's artwork for years in the I Hate Fairyland series and I was looking forward to what he would bring in his own adventure. His illustrations are great as always. I loved the map. D'orc's story is a fun one that I look forward to getting more of it in future volumes.
*Thank you to Image Comics, NetGalley, and Brett Bean for my ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.*

No comments:
Post a Comment